- Company: BDO AG
- Position: Manager; Responsible for the auditing department at the Basel branch
- Remit / main activity: Auditing
- Highest academic qualification: state-certified auditor
- Years of professional experience: 10
- Place of work: Basel
- No. of employees at place of work: 28
What makes my work exciting?
- Personal contact with clients
- Full insight into a range of companies, the discussion and analysis of complex specialist topics
- Working with a great team
Why did I enter the profession?
- Exciting job where you keep busy, gain a huge wealth of experience, and get an insight into management and Board-level topics right after your studies
- It never gets boring (different clients, new challenges and opportunities every year)
- A great deal of contact with clients
- A lot of summer holidays
What challenges does my work present?
- A high degree of flexibility, both in terms of time and subject matter. A wide range of industries: auditing a hospital one day, then a company in the engineering industry the next day.
- The balancing act between compliance with regulatory requirements, added value for the client and cost pressure.
How does my work benefit the economy?
- Security for stakeholders (employees, investors, suppliers, clients)
- Our experience and expertise offer clients added value (identifying process optimisation potential, highlighting risks, etc.)
What is important to me in my client relationships?
- Open, direct and timely communication
- Communication as equals
- Empathy; understanding the client
What is currently important for my clients in our cooperation (keyword: coronavirus)?
- Proactive and timely information on regulatory changes and options, e.g. how reduced hours have to be filed and accounted for and what deadlines must be met.
- Fast response time, high degree of availability
How has the industry changed? What are the challenges for the future?
- Increased regulation
- Digitisation does not stop with auditing; certain (simple) tasks are carried out using data analysis procedures or, in some cases, they are centralised and carried out abroad.
- Auditing is a people business.
- Communication with clients and the resulting understanding of their business model and risks are crucial for a high quality of audit and service provision.
- We have to make sure that the essential human factor is combined with progress via digitisation and increased regulation.